Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eye Saga 2

Friday, 12 February 2010

Regarding the status of my eyes, here is the latest. As you may recall, I did PRK laser eye surgery in Nov 2007. I endured corneal scrapes in May & Sep 2009 to remove scar tissue but it's still there. During a corneal scrape the surgeon used a 15-bladed scalpel to remove the outer membrane of cornea, which is traumatic to the eye.

I met with Dr Hunt, an eye surgeon Tuesday. He recommended 3 options: glasses, contacts or undergo more PRK laser treatment. Since I’m returning to the Middle East in the fall, I am requesting more PRK. Contacts are not good in a desert environment due to dust storms and blowing sand. Glasses tend to fog and fall off during high intensity activity, i.e. combat. Besides when I endured the 1st PRK treatment, it was to correct my near-sightedness so I wouldn’t have to wear glasses. My near-sightedness is fixed; I have issues with scar tissue blocking vision in one eye & causing the light to bend goofy which gives me double & triple vision.

So, I’m getting referred to Dr Nestor at Ft Bragg for PRK treatment. Until PRK #2, the eye surgeon is recommending I order glasses. Dr Nestor sent me a packet this morning. I must apply for it, like I did the 1st time with my battalion commander's permission. So, I need to get on it. You can pray that God will work out the details and that my eyes heal correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment