Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Serving is Freedom


July 1, 2008


Maj. Dave Olson
1st BCT PAO, 4th Inf. Div., MND-B

FORWARD OPERATION BASE FALCON, Iraq – There are many types of freedom that Americans cherish: financial, religious, political and the list continues.

Growing up in a small, rural community in the Midwest, I did not fully understand the meaning of freedom until I gave mine away for a greater cause. I lived in blissful ignorance of the cost of the freedoms I enjoyed. I was aware that service members died in our nation’s wars to guarantee my lifestyle, but they were faceless phantoms to me.

When a young person joins the military, they give up their individual freedoms to provide that same gift to others. For example, when I joined the U.S. Army in the early 1980s and reported to basic training, I gave up some of my individual freedoms and accepted the values of the organization that I swore allegiance.

In basic training, I had to obey and follow the instructions the drill sergeants told me to do. I had to wear the specified uniform and show up on time to the proper location for training. If I decided to do my own thing and disobey the instructions, I would invite some unwanted personal attention from a drill sergeant.

Twenty-five years later, I must still follow the instructions of my boss or I will invite his wrath. I must still be at the proper location on time wearing the specified uniform.

Though the standards of military life have not changed, my understanding of freedom has. Instead of the faceless phantoms from past wars, I now clearly see the faces of those who paid the ultimate price for my freedom and the freedoms that my fellow Americans enjoy.

I remember the face of my friend Capt. Drew Pearson from Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multi-National Division – Baghdad, who died April 30, 2008 in the Rashid district of Baghdad and Capt. Ian Weikel from Troop A, 7th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 1st BCT, 4th Inf. Div., MND-B, who was mortally wounded near Saab al Bour on April 18, 2006. There are other faces that I know as well.

Freedom is expensive when people I know paid the price for it. However, I know they gave willingly, because they too loved freedom.

mourn.
CAMP TAJI, Iraq – 1st Lt. Erik Ogilvie, executive officer, assigned to Troop A, 7th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multi-National Division - Baghdad, mourns in grief for Capt. Ian Weikel, the former commander, Trp. A, 7th Sqdn., 10th Cav. Regt., who was mortally wounded near Saab al Bour, Iraq, April 18, 2006. The memorial service for Weikel was conducted at Camp Taji, Iraq, April 24, 2006.
(U.S. Navy photo by Photographers Mate 1st Class Michael Larson, 1st BCT COMCAM, 4th Inf. Div., MND-B.)

No comments:

Post a Comment